New here and being blamed for family member's addiction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here and being blamed for family member's addiction

Hi---an older son is addicted to heroin. He as been enabled all his life. We decided to take away his car as it is in our name and he often paid late or not al all. He now has no driver's license. But, other family members are angry as they say he needs a car to support his teenage daughter. He has no job, was fired. He calls us screaming that we caused the addiction and stole his car. He is no where near recovery as he merely blames everyone else. Rants about how other family members get more than he does. He is 38. Another family member continues to give him money and told him how awful we are to not help him financially and that we are cruel to take away his (our) car. The other family member merely fuels his rage at us. He is in rehab now, but calls almost nightly from the rehab with his rants about other people causing his problems. Any suggestions?

Molly,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but welcome to our heroin addiction and recovery discussion forum. I'm sorry that others are blaming you for your son's drug addiction. At 38 years of age, one would think he would be self sufficient, have a job, have and pay for his own car, etc. However, though we still feel that we need a car in active addiction, paying for it and being responsible gets put by the wayside. I don't know whether or not your son was paying for his car, but if it's not in his name and he's basically using it to buy and pick up drugs with it, then I don't blame you for taking it away Not only is he hurting himself by doing that, but he's potentially putting you at risk since the car is in your name.

At the end of the day, you can't worry about what other people are saying about you. Instead, I would spend the time focusing on how you can convince your son to get the addiction help and treatment he wants, needs and deserves.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Peace and Love,

William
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
    X