Getting Sober vs. Staying Sober

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Sober vs. Staying Sober

So I'm new to the forum. Just wanted to share a little bit of my experience with the disease of addiction. I was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA. I've been injecting heroin for the last decade of my life. It took me robbing my family going to jail countless times and almost loosing my life to finally bring me to my knees. I've been to treatment about 20 times in last 10 years. I always told myself that as long as I could just not pic up the drugs and alcohol I would be fine. I was sadly mistaken. It was always easy for me to go to treatment and clean up and be OK for a few days but once I got out, left up to my own will, it was always a matter of time before I had a needle in my hand. This time around I dove head first into AA/NA. I did every suggestion that was instructed of me. My thinking got me in these situations over and over so I let others who have been through this do the thinking for me until I was capable to make decisions for myself. I have almost a year of sobriety now, coming from a kid who couldn't get a day in over a decade that is a huge deal for me. The obsession to get high has been completely removed for me. Coming from no bank account, living on my mothers couch, and couldn't hold a job for more than a few months to now buying a house, having a savings account and got a great job working in treatment where I'm actually trusted by others. Its very gratifying work, being through such misery in my life thinking I had n hope and no where to turn, going to bed every night and contemplating whether or not I was going to end my life. I know how awful and lonely that feeling is and. Now my goal in life is to help others get through this thing and let everyone know thee is a way out, even though it may not seem like it. I'm always here for anyone if you ever need to reach out and need to talk. You don't have to do this alone.

Nicholas Daniel,

Welcome to our drug addiction and recovery discussion and support forum. I appreciate you sharing your story. So you're a fellow Philadelphian I see :-). Your story sounds similar to mine and many others I've read. Ultimately, we think we have our addiction under control (we never think we are actually addicted). But even after we think we are "ok", our drug or heroin addiction gets the better of us. A drug relapse is also very common and I believe statistics now show a 50% to 80% relapse rate based on whatever study certain individuals conducted by I don't know how many subjects were involved in the study.

That said, congratulations on your 1 year in recovery. You mentioned in another thread that you could help someone get into treatment and on this topic, you mentioned that you work for an addiction treatment facility. Which one do you work for?

Our community is always on the look-out for quality treatment centers who genuinely who genuinely care about their clients/patients. Perhaps if the drug rehab facility you work for is truly helping men and women with the disease of addiction conquer their illness, we can potentially work together and add you to our list of recommended addiction treatment centers.

I look forward to your response.

Peace and Love,

William
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
    X