12 Celebrity Drug Addiction Recovery Success Stories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Celebrity Drug Addiction Recovery Success Stories

Celebrities are looked up to, idolized and even worshiped by laypeople like us who see and often envy their popularity, fame and money. But did you know that many of these celebrities turn to drugs and suffer from addiction too? At the end of the day, celebrities are just people. They put their pants on one leg at a time, they snore and wake up with bed head like everyone else! They also have the same susceptibility to heroin and drug addiction that we do. The good news is, celebrity or not, recovery and getting your life back is possible. Below is an article about 12 celebrities that suffered from and conquered drug addiction.

---
    Drug addiction is a very real problem in tinseltown. Read more about your favorite celebrities and how they battled their drug addictions.
    Drug rehabilitation is defined as the treatment processes used to overcome dependency on psychoactive substances. Some examples of these substances are prescription drugs, street drugs (cocaine, amphetamines, heroin, etc.), and alcohol. The treatment can either be medical or psychotherapeutic in nature. The main aim of drug rehab is to prevent the disastrous consequences of extreme abuse of these drugs. The treatment plans mainly include medication, counseling as well as sharing experiences with others through groups like Narcotics Anonymous.
    Many struggling actors and singers dream about making it big in the world of show business. For them, Hollywood is the land of fame and success. What is often forgotten is the amount of hard work needed to maintain this success. Fame often comes at a very high price. Celebrities have their private lives documented for the entire world to see. They also have the paparazzi dogging their every step. A lot of the celebrities cannot deal with these stressors. Sometimes, they resort to using alcohol or drugs to take the edge off. This often leads to drug addiction problems.
    Many Hollywood actors like Charlie Sheen are renowned for their repeated rehab stints. ‘Showbiz’ may be the place where all the dreams come true but it is not always about the ‘glitz and glamor’. Here is a list of 12 celebrities who went through drug rehab and overcame their addiction.

1. Drew Barrymore
    Drew Barrymore is one of the most notorious child actors in Hollywood. She started smoking marijuana and snorting cocaine at the tender age of twelve. She went through drug rehabilitation treatments twice when she was 13 years old. Barrymore has turned her life around now and is an inspiration for others to do the same. After overcoming her drug addiction she said, “Life is very interesting… in the end, some of your greatest pains, become your greatest strengths.

2. Oprah Winfrey
    Oprah Winfrey has gone through a lot of tragic situations in her life; the loss of a child, abuse, and poverty. She admitted that she was addicted to cocaine in the 1980s. Later, she went through a drug rehab program. After successfully overcoming the drug abuse, Winfrey started focusing on helping people and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. At present, she is an inspiration to people because of her positive attitude, success, and her indomitable spirit.

3. Steven Tyler
    Steven Tyler, the lead singer of the famous band Aerosmith, struggled with drug abuse during high school. This abuse later led to poor relationships as well as difficulty in dealing with success. During one of his interviews he said, “I’m telling you the truth. I am a drug addict and an alcoholic, and fighting it every day. I had it all; I didn’t care. I hurt my family and my children and my friends. If it wasn’t for AA, I would have nothing. If you stop going to AA meetings, you’re going to wind up using again. I express my joy all because of AA.

4. Sanjay Dutt
    Sanjay Dutt is an actor from the Indian film industry a.k.a. Bollywood. He developed a drug addiction following the death of his mother when he was a teenager. He was later imprisoned for five months on charges of illegal possession of drugs. After his stint in prison, his family sent him to a rehabilitation center in the United States. The good news is that he was able to overcome his addiction.

5. Samuel Jackson
    Samuel Jackson had a serious drug addiction problem. He was sent to a rehab center in New York after he overdosed on heroin. Jackson was forced to attend drug rehab programs more than once, as he always found a way to escape from the centers. He attributes his success in quitting drugs to his role in ‘Jungle Fever’. He played a cocaine addict in the movie. According to him, his role made him realize just how dangerous the addiction could be!

6. Nicole Richie
    Nicole Richie, mainly known for her role in ‘The Simple Life’, was addicted to pills, heroin, and marijuana. She was arrested in 2003 for illegal possession (heroin). However, this did not stop her from abusing drugs. She was arrested again, in 2007, on charges of being under the influence of marijuana and Vicodin. Richie then went through a drug rehab program and is now reportedly clean. Currently, she is married and has two children.

7. Robert Downey Jr.
    ‘Iron Man’ Robert Downey Jr. was once considered a liability in the film business due to his drug addiction. In other words, he was not offered any roles because of his addiction to cocaine and heroin. He battled his drug problem at the California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility. When he was interviewed about his time in this facility, he said, “Job one is to get out of that cave. A lot of people do get out but don’t change. So the thing is to get out and recognize the significance of that aggressive denial of your fate, come through the crucible forged into a stronger metal. Or whatever. But I don’t even know if that was my experience. It’s funny: five years ago, I would’ve made it sound like I’m conscious of my own participation in seizing the similarities. But so many things have become less certain. I swear to God. I am not my story.

8. Slash
    The former Guns n’ Roses guitarist Slash a.k.a. Saul Hudson was perhaps one of the most prolific drug abusers in the music industry in his time. In 2001, he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. Owing to this diagnosis, he decided to stop the drug abuse, entered a drug rehab program, and is currently clean and sober.

9. Kelly Osbourne
    Kelly Osbourne, a British singer and a former Dancing with the Stars contestant, started abusing Vicodin pills at the age of 17. She has confessed to taking as many as 50 pills a day! After going through the drug rehab program four times, she finally started feeling optimistic about her recovery chances. She is presently enjoying her drug-free life.

10. Demi Lovato
    Demi Lovato, a popular singer, was addicted to cocaine. Apparently the addiction was so bad that she used to smuggle cocaine on airplanes because she couldn’t go even half an hour without the drug. She went into drug rehab in 2010 for a period of three months. Currently, she lives with her family and leads a healthy life.

11. Shia LaBeouf
    Well known for his role in Michael Bay’s ‘Transformers’ franchise, Shia LaBeouf has struggled with drugs and criminality. He finally decided to undergo a rehabilitation program after a troubling episode during the performance of Cabaret at Studio 54. After his rehab stint, he has done a couple of movies and is leading a healthy life.

12. Angelina Jolie
    Angelina Jolie was addicted to heroin and cocaine at the same time, and has always been open about her addiction. She was diagnosed with depression due to her drug abuse. She decided to quit drugs when she became the Goodwill Ambassador for the UNHCR (United Nations High Commission for Refugees). In one of her interviews, she said, “I went through heavy, darker times and I survived them. I didn’t die young, so I’m very lucky. There are other artists and people who didn’t survive certain things.
    Extreme drug abuse often results in unsavory endings. Cases in point are those of celebrities like Marilyn Monroe, Brittany Murphy, and Philip Seymour Hoffman who died because of drug overdoses.
    Drug rehab programs can help you overcome your drug addiction, and the post-recovery support programs can help you stay on the path to lifelong recovery.
    Drug addiction is a very real problem in tinseltown. Read more about your favorite celebrities and how they battled their drug addictions.
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

one may you want to do rehab like a celeb! rehab centers located in beach front views and awesome nature trips are just the way to go, my cousin checked himself in at]dallas tx drug rehab retreat center (promotional link removed) that when i visited him there, i felt myself having a vacation along with him. truly the way to go and do it.

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
    X