Is Addiction a Disease?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Addiction a Disease?

This question has been asked and answered dozens of times, but we are going to start a series of common questions and answers for our heroin addiction forum and share them with everyone. As members (join now if you haven't yet), you are encouraged to share your thoughts or experiences into each topic. Now, onto the answer.

While there are varying philosophies related to addiction, this community truly believes based on demonstrable evidence that addiction is indeed of disease of the brain. This has been declared as "fact" by the American Medical Association (AMA), the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and other reputable medical organizations and associations. It operates similarly and takes on similar characteristics as other diseases yet addiction is a disease that attacks the whole person including the mind, body and spirit. Addiction can be defined as a cognitive compulsion and a ubiquitous connection to a mind-altering substance or activity that creates some kind and level of euphoria when the individual indulges. Addiction starts with a choice to indulge in a particular substance or activity and if a genetic predisposition exists, a chemical reaction occurs creating chemical and structural changes in the brain. See "Proof that Addiction is a Disease" for more information.

What is your opinion about addiction and how does it affect you or a family member?

We look forward to your response.

William
    Addiction is a brain disease and there is a lot of evidence to prove it. Read this article to see why addiction is indisputably a disease of the brain.
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
X