Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did playing sports support your recovery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did playing sports support your recovery?

I was wondering whether anybody else feels that sport has supported their recovery.
    While an article on this website suggests that this may be the case, and I think it has to some degree in my own experience, I was wondering whether others felt the same.
    Thanks in advance for sharing your story!

Juhan,

Welcome to our heroin addiction forum. I was a little unclear and how you worded this, so are you talking about sports in general? Like playing sports? Watching sports? I believe anything physical is certainly going to help you in your recovery. Exercise is very important as it helps to flush out toxins and releases endorphins that can make you happy. Not only that, but being in good physical condition and bonding with others during sports activities can certainly help other aspects of recovery. For instance, if you are feeling fulfilled in sports and in the relationships with people you’ve made from playing sports, you will be a lot less likely to want to use drugs for any sense of fulfillment.

If I misunderstood your question, please let me know. But I would like to hear more about your experience.

Peace and love,

William
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

You are spot on William, I meant participation in endurance sports like running, cycling, triathlon etc.. Thanks for the opportunity to clarify, and for your insights on this.

Comment

Awesome Juhan, what kind of sports or exercises do you play or do?

Peace and love,

William
        Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Running and some cycling

Comment

That’s cool, like I said I’m not a fan of running, I do like biking although I would prefer to do it when I’m on the road and not on an actual machine. A lot of fun letting the wind hit me in the face and seeing the different scenery especially when it’s a nice cool 60 to 70° out. And swimming and weightlifting on my favorites. That and martial arts!

What’s your recovery anniversary date?

Comment

It works for me. All the years I was clean I'm sure I was addicted to exercise. I ran marathons, ultra marathons, Ironman. Not only did the exercise keep me fit but it can be a great group of people to share a common bond with. Whatever works for you is what is important. I still log a lot of miles. It is very relaxing and allows me to eat what I want. Keeps me off the DR Rx meds too as the rest of my family lives on them as my parents died young from heart decease. Good Luck

Comment

Ciolli,

That's awesome, thanks for sharing your experience. For a few years I was really addicted to exercise too and it was definitely the best thing I could have been addicted to. I was at the gym 6 days a week at first and then on the 7th day, I felt like I just needed to be there. So I went. But I knew what I was doing and would always break up my workouts. I had at least 2 swimming days in there where I would basically just swim and maybe come into the weight area just to stretch and work on my core. Then I had various weight lifting days targeting muscle groups. I really need to get back into that :-).

William

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
                X