Is it still a relapse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it still a relapse?

I dont know if this is the right place to put this but i had 5 months clean from heroin today. But my friend had some thing that wasnt my drug of choice so i dont know what it was or if it was real or not (i know not safe at all) i used it as they said and i didnt feel anything. Is it still a relapse if the drugs didnt work/ werent real?im not sure if relapsing is just intention to use like i had or actually injestion a substance. The guilt of relapsing has set in and im not sure if i should fess up about it. Thank you

Caleb,

Welcome to our heroin addiction and recovery discussion forum. That’s a great question. There are varying answers on the subject although your situation is little bit different than the common question. Commonly, people would ask Something like whether or not it would be relapsing for a recovering addict to have a glass of wine with dinner. Some people would say yes because they are taking in a mind altering substance. I on the other hand, I would say no, that is unless alcohol was also something the individual was addicted to. Something like whether or not it would be relapsing for a recovering addict to have a glass of wine with dinner. Some people would say yes because they are taking in a mind altering substance. I on the other hand, would say no, that is unless alcohol was also something the individual was addicted to. Men and women with the disease of addiction are not always addicted to everything. Thus, someone addicted to heroin may not have an alcohol problem and could technically get away with having the occasional glass of wine with dinner even in recovery. However, there is a risk factor and danger here because if somebody in recovery from heroin experiences a buzz, they may feel tempted to experience a stronger feeling of euphoria and it may be a trigger to go back to using heroin. Men and women with the disease of addiction are not always addicted to everything. Thus, someone addicted to heroin may not have an alcohol problem and could technically get away with having the occasional glass of wine with dinner even in recovery. However, there is a risk factor and danger here because if somebody in recovery from heroin experiences a buzz, they may feel tempted to experience a stronger feeling of euphoria and it may be a trigger to go back to using heroin.

In your situation, I think you have to ask yourself why you tried this particular drugs in the first place. You may not have felt anything, but was your intention to feel something? Why did you take it in the first place? While you may not have had a full relapse, I think you may have mentally relapsed because my guess is your intention was to get high even though it didn’t work. But most people who experience a mental relapse don’t often consider it a full blown in your situation, I think you have to ask yourself why you tried this particular drugs in the first place. You may not have felt anything, but was your intention to feel something? Why did you take it in the first place? While you may not have had a full relapse, I think you may have mentally relapsed because my guess is your intention was to get high even though it didn’t work. But most people who experience a mental relapse don’t often consider it a full blown drug relapse unless they experienced that feeling of euphoria that they are addicted to.

In this case, my opinion is that you experienced a mental relapse but not a full-blown drug relapse. But be careful. Mental relapses can very easily turn into full-blown drug relapses. The question is, are you strong enough to avoid this drug or any drugs moving forward? Attempting to take this drug again would be likely an attempt to get high. Even if it didn’t work the first time, it might work the second time in which case, your mental relapse has transformed into a full-blown drug relapse.
    In this case, my opinion is that you experienced a mental relapse but not a full-blown drug relapse. But be careful. Mental relapses can very easily turn into full-blown drug relapses. The question is, are you strong enough to avoid this drug or any drugs moving forward? Attempting to take this drug again would be likely an attempt to get high. Even if it didn’t work the first time, it might work the second time in which case, your mental relapse has transformed into a full-blown drug relapse.

I’d be curious to hear what other people have to say on the i’d be curious to hear what other people have to say on the subject.

Peace and love,

William
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
    X