Pompano Beach doctor arrested at his office, feds say

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompano Beach doctor arrested at his office, feds say

A Broward County doctor is among four people arrested and federally charged with conspiring to illegally dispense pain killers and other controlled substances, authorities announced Friday.

Willem Ouw, 84, is accused of prescribing oxycodone, morphine and amphetamine without conducting proper medical examinations, federal prosecutors said.

Ouw was arrested Thursday at his Pompano Beach office, Medical Center of North Broward, 38 NE 20th Ave., records show.

Ouw was indicted on 10 counts and faces a maximum penalty of 20 years per count. He is currently in custody at the Broward Main Jail.

The alleged conspiracy started in Dec. 2015, investigators said.

Arrested with Ouw on one count each of conspiracy to unlawfully dispense oxcycodone were Belafonte “Quincy” Byard, 50, and Donna Licata, 62, both of Broward County, and Sarah Shoopman, 36, of Orange County.

They are accused of taking cash payments, handling files and obtaining samples, federal prosecutors said.

Federal authorities are also seeking forfeiture of Ouw’s properties in Pompano Beach and New Jersey, valued at more than $2.8 million, the indictment said.

tealanez@sun-sentinel.com, 954-356-4542 or Twitter @talanez
    Copyright © 2017, Sun Sentinel
    Dr. Willem Ouw is accused of dispensing painkillers without conducting exams at his Pompano Beach pain clinic
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
X