UPDATE: Huntington Police & Fire Departments No Longer Respond to Overdoses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE: Huntington Police & Fire Departments No Longer Respond to Overdoses

Huntington police officers and firefighters will no longer respond to non-life-threatening overdose calls, but with some residents concerned, the police chief and fire chief wanted to clarify what that means for the city.

Huntington Police Chief Hank Dial told 13 News:

"We will still respond if they need police assistance, but we've stopped going to simple overdose calls where someone just needs Narcan. At one point, we were sending an ambulance, fire truck and police car to administer Narcan. That's not an efficient use of resources."

Some residents have voiced concerns, though, about the safety of EMS personnel not having officers with them.

"I think some of the areas they may be going into might be harsh areas, or problematic areas," said Michael Goldman, a Huntington resident. "There's dangerous folks out there."

However, we spoke with Fire Chief Jan Rader, who said this was a mutual decision with Cabell County EMS Director Gordon Merry.

Chief Rader added, "If at any time, we find that it's not working or there's adverse consequences to this, we will correct it immediately."

The fire department will also still respond to any cardiac arrest calls, which Chief Rader said accounts for the majority of overdose calls in the area.

ORIGINAL:

The Huntington Fire Department and Huntington Police Department will no longer respond to routine overdose calls.

The Huntington Police Department has been abiding by this policy for around three months already. Bryan Chambers, the Communications Director for the City of Huntington, says the policy has gone well for police.

Both departments will still respond to an overdose call if they are requested by emergency medical services.

Chambers says that these policies were implemented after consultation with Cabell County EMS.

Fire Chief Jan Rader says that this in attempt to better utilize the department's resources.

The new policies will be evaluated on a monthly basis.

We will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
X