Oxy Addiction because of car accident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxy Addiction because of car accident

I was in a really bad car accident with a county cop about 5 years ago, and my Dr. ended up putting me on 5mg Percocets, they helped for a lil while, then it got to the point where it wasn't doing anything anymore, so a friend of mine, gave me one of her 30mg Roxicodones, and I cut it half and it worked. Long story short, I ended up being them from her, I was taking 8 a day, then over 3 months,I cut it down to 4 a day, then 2 a day, now I take the 15mg and I cut them in half, so I'm on 1 1/2 of the 15s now, so I'm trying to get off these things. I'm proud to say, I've never, not once thought about turning to heroin or anything else, cuz I knew alot of people that ODed on heroin and that's not what I want. I've tried getting in to detox, and a couple other programs, and they wouldn't take me, cuz "I don't take enough" WTF? So now I guess I'm on my own. Any suggestions? Please, any help is appreciated. I have a great man that's stuck with me they this whole ideal, and 2 children, that I love more than life itself.
    Thanks, Jenn
    Last edited by BabiGurl369; 07-04-2016, 10:21 AM.

Jenn,

Welcome to our discussion forum community. I'm sorry to hear about your bad accident. A lot of people end up getting hooked on opiates because they got in some kind of accident or had some kind of injury where they needed to be prescribed medication. As a result, doctors prescribe Percocet or oxycodone and it helps with the pain but those of us who are genetically predisposed can easily become addicted.

I think I'm glad to hear that you want to come off of oxycodone altogether. I'll be honest, I have the same concerns as you about many of the medicine assisted treatment programs out there that refuse patients because they "haven't taken enough drugs". Frankly, this discourages people and for those who desperately need treatment, it may wrongfully encourage them to use more drugs just so they can get into the program. In the meantime, they risk overdose and death simply because a clinic has denied them treatment.

That said, what treatment programs are you interested in? I know methadone clinics turn people away if you haven't used for at least two years and you don't test hot for heroin are opiates at the time of admission. I don't believe Suboxone have us as strict of criteria so this might be something to consider. You may also want to consider naltrexone but I believe most of the naltrexone products require you not to use for at least two weeks before using their products.

I know it's not easy and unfortunately there are still many fundamental flaws with many of the medicine assisted treatment programs out there. In your case, it sounds like you've cut down quite a bit already. That being said, you could consider going cold turkey while attending intensive outpatient therapy or some other kind of counseling which may help provide you with the strength to continue going on without opiate use.

Alternatively, you could consider some of the inpatient facilities that would work with you on a number of fundamental issues and may also provide you with detox for the first couple of days.

Once I know more about your situation and what treatment options you feel are best for you, I can try to provide you with more information.

Peace and love,

William - Publisher
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

That's sick! They might as well hand you drugs and say take this before we treat you

What kind of clinic was this? Have you thought about suboxone at all?

Comment

Suboxone is still an opiate. And it is hard to detox from

Comment

MDS Drug Detox,

​Thanks for posting but I'd appreciate it if you can answer my emails. While we welcome any and all members, only treatment centers that we've prescreened and approved for recommendation are invited to post on our forum.

Best wishes,

William
          Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Professional treatment programs pretty much make you take drugs in order to get into them. I had a few tell me to take more when I was tapering down but that doesn't mean you have to tell them how little you are taking. Inflate the amount to get in.

But, it sounds like you have the discipline to control a tapering program yourself. That is everything they are going to do for you in a program. Usually a 7, 10 or 14 day quick taper with suboxone. The most important thing to remember is, not matter what, never stay on a maintenance medication for any great length of time. I've had doctors tell me to stay on suboxone for the rest of my life and it is perfectly ok. I was on sub's for 4 years until I decided enough was enough and the detox and withdrawals from those last 3x's longer and were worse that the oxy's and norcos I had been on.

Comment

Agtkicking,

Thanks for your feedback. Since you are new, I encourage you to start your own topic to introduce yourself and share your story. Our members would certainly appreciate that, as would I. I look forward to your participation.

Peace and love,

William

Comment

I was also told I was not bad enough to get into treatment 20 months ago
                When j woke up from a drug induced coma in the hospital they told me they found a bed for me at a rehab facility. I told them I already tried but I was not bad enough. They said "you are now" they took me and helped me a lot and I am doing well now. It is scary to think what could have happened.

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
                X