Broke sobriety, what to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke sobriety, what to do?

I’m afraid to ask my family and friends about this because they might judge me or worse they might give up on me. I don’t know what I should do after breaking my year-long sobriety from alcohol. I had a mildly severe addiction to alcohol and went to a rehab program for it. It wasn’t easy but I felt better in the end. But I betrayed myself by drinking a shot of vodka in this international brides dating social event that I got invited in. I didn’t really want to drink but my old friends kept pressuring me, told me it wouldn’t harm me. Now, I’m paranoid that I might relapse after that incident. Should I contact a therapist? Do I go back to my old rehab center?

Felt guilty,

Welcome to our heroin addiction and recovery discussion forum community. For starters, try to relax and take a deep breath. You need to Remind yourself that you have more control than you give yourself credit for. Just because you came one night for example, doesn’t mean you have to cave again. In the context of everything you shared, I didn’t hear anything about having cravings for alcohol right now and that you’re afraid you’re going to use other than general paranoia that because you used once, you’re afraid you’ll use again. So let me ask you… Are you experiencing a strong cravings to drink again now that you had a shot? If not, then remind yourself that you have more control than you give yourself credit for. Just because you caved one night for example, doesn’t mean you have to cave again. In the context of everything you shared, I didn’t hear anything about having cravings for alcohol right now and that you’re afraid you’re going to use other than general paranoia that because you used once, you’re afraid you’ll use again. So let me ask you… Are you experiencing strong cravings to drink again now that you have a shot? If not, then you can probably just got back on the road to recovery without having to start over. However, if you are having serious strong cravings for alcohol, you may want to seek counseling, rehab or even possibly attend an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

The fact that you are concerned about it shows that you are serious about your recovery and that you want to stay away from using alcohol again.

Just remember, there is no rule that says that you have to continue relapsing just because your slip once and had a drink.

So tell me more about how you feel, do you experience cravings at this point or are you just experiencing a general worry?

I look forward to your response and hope that you will continue down the path of recovery.

Peace and love,

William
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
    X