No announcement yet.

Why is Narcan (Naloxone) So Expensive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Narcan (Naloxone) So Expensive?

The below comment was posted by our assistant publisher Crystal Oertle on Facebook. She made some excellent points so I thought I would share it here with an appropriate title. I encourage anyone and everyone reading to share their thoughts on this important topic.

---

I want to know something... I'm so irate right now!!!!!!! I was going to buy a Narcan kit to keep on my person. So I asked Drugmart how much one is..... Are you ready for this??

$80

$80 ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!!! What addict in active addiction is going to afford that so they can have it on them in case the worst happens???!!!
    Why is it ok to charge that much for something that can save someone's life?!!

Does anyone know if/how you can get one with a prescription?

---

This was my response to Crystal...

Crystal Oertle I don't blame you for being mad, that is preposterous. A good friend of mine in the online recovery community Gene St. Pierre sent me one but I had no idea they were this expensive. In general, I totally agree that this is a major problem and they shouldn't be this expensive. Because while recovery advocates may be able to help one another out and donate one here and there to each other, what about the vast majority of the world suffering from addiction being told they should carry this around to save their own Life. And you're right, what active addict is going to have $80 or would actually put $80 towards this one they could put it towards more drugs? I believe it is now out rage and even though perhaps we can do something here to help each other out and get you some on hand, I wonder if there's something we can do the fight and petition to try to get the price lowered.

What are your thoughts?
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

It never fails..when a drug becomes popular, big pharma yanks up the cost. If you contact your local needle exchange, most will provide it free of charge (or for a very nominal fee) and will instruct you how to use it.

i AM IN NEW JERSEY AND CVS SELLS IT WITHOUT A PRESCRIPTION. IT COSTS 39.99 THERE, WHICH IS PRETTY REASONABLE.

Find out if your state offers narcan over the counter. More and more states are allowing pharmacists to sell it without a prescription. It may take some shopping around but hopefully it will be available at a more reasonable cost than the 80.00 you were going to be charged!

Comment

Yes it is pretty disgusting that prices of medication and anything really are increased substantially anytime is more popular. All it comes down to is attempting to make more money, and in this case, capitalizing on a sick person's expense.

It's sad!

William
      Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Here in wv you can get free narcan every wensday and also during the rest rest if week you cab sit through a 20 or 30 min class train you on it and get free narcan you can check around see if your local health department offers something similar or your local dhhr office good luck

Comment

JennJenn,

Thanks for your reply and for the additional information. Can you tell us a little more about the class? Where is it located first of all? Not everyone lives in the same state but is it possible that other states have the same thing?

Thanks,

William

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
          X