detoxing on my own

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detoxing on my own

I dont have insurance or money and i really am motivated to end my usage the problem i always have is getting through that first week or 2 of the intial withdrawls. I could maybe use some help on how to maybe make it a little easier to get through it. or just any advice or help in general!!! I really need and want this to be the end of it and start a new fresh life once and for all.. im just worn out tired of my life style and everything i have lost through this shitty battle!!!

Kyle,

Welcome to our heroin addiction and recovery discussion forum. I think it's terrific that you have a lot of motivation to get off of heroin and drugs. Coming off without any help is possible but just a bit more difficult. But just because it's easier with help doesn't mean help can't come in the form of friendship and free support groups like Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, etc.

If heroin or opiates is your drug of choice, then the first 24 to 72 hours will very likely be the most difficult time to get past. As for at home detox remedies, I've read a lot about these but to be honest, I don't know what really works and what doesn't. Some will tell you to get on one of the over the counter detox aids, some will even recommend certain brand names. Others will recommend a plethora of various vitamins and extracts which is supposed to help minimize opiate and heroin withdrawal symptoms substantially.

One rather controversial product is Kratom. Some claim it's a Godsend and will reduce up to 70% to 90% of your heroin or opiate withdrawal symptoms and others claim that it not only doesn't work but will only make things worse for you. Kratom is unregulated but it is legal in the majority of the states. Here is some more information about Kratom:

What is Kratom? Can it Help Ease Heroin/Opiate Withdrawals?

Should Kratom be Banned in the United States?

I know other vitamins like Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin E and other vitamins are supposed to help in higher doses. You can also take over the counter medications for some of the symptoms you will experience. Learn more about heroin withdrawal symptoms.

Perhaps other members can chime in with some at home remedies they've used that might be of benefit to you.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Peace and Love,

William
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Schmitz View Post
      I dont have insurance or money and i really am motivated to end my usage the problem i always have is getting through that first week or 2 of the intial withdrawls. I could maybe use some help on how to maybe make it a little easier to get through it. or just any advice or help in general!!! I really need and want this to be the end of it and start a new fresh life once and for all.. im just worn out tired of my life style and everything i have lost through this shitty battle!!!
      Hey Kyle,
      Depending on the state in which you live, there might still be funding for you to enter detox. Call your county's drug and alcohol commission.
      Little known fact, a program can't turn you away if you show up in need of help with no insurance. You may be offered subs or methadone to help you through it. Good luck and great decision to begin living again.
      Jen

Comment

Dear Kyle, I won't lie, I am on suboxone however I have no insurance either. It costs a lot of money and I question if I am any happier. If u can get through three days you got it if you want it bad enough. Do it and make you're self a new life. If you want it.bad enough you will do it and be better for it good luck!!!!

Comment

Time to Confess,

If you don't mind my asking, how much are you paying per month for Suboxone from your doctor without insurance? And how much are you taking per day? I know you said you don't know if you're happier. How come? Is Suboxone taking away the urges for you?

William
          Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Hi William. I was wondering if you heard back from time to confess about suboxone. I am on suboxone and have been "clean" for the past 90 days. Yay me. I was really mixed about it when I was prescribed it when I went to detox. Basically this was my 4th detox and I was on a 2 year runner after 8 years clean that started this last time with pain meds for back pain. Everything in my life was (still is) awesome. I have a good job, wife, kids, etc.. Anyways, I tried to quit the last year and could not after countless attempts. I came to this site because of NA and dealing with them not liking suboxone. I'm okay with it all. I'm just taking in information. The surgeon general this year released a statement about addiction being a disease and MAT not trading one for another. Heres the link if you are interested https://addiction.surgeongeneral.gov...summary/report .. Anyways the point of my comment is I am a veteran of the Army and Navy and I get my suboxone through the VA. I don't have insurance and it costs me 8 dollars a refill and 8 dollars an office visit so around 30 dollars a month. Not bad. I might have to update that number due to labwork of urineanalysis but the number is about right. I also get free counseling with a psychologist and a drug and alchohol treatment program. Not too bad. I just wanted to put this out there in case any other veteran is reading this so they know that they can get help. Ha I just thought of something. I was going to comment how spammy some of the rehab programs sounded on this forum and here I am spamming.. Don't mean to spam I just wanted to help a vet if they are out there reading this.

Comment

Highjinx,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you as I didn't see this reply. I've seen "Time to Confess" reply to another topic but I guess he hasn't seen this one. Maybe you might wanbt to send him a private message? And don't worry, you're not spamming....we encourage you to share your opinion and story. Regarding Suboxone, we agree with the Surgeon General - using MAT is NOT replacing one drug for another. We have had this stance for a long time and genuinely believe that those using Methadone, Suboxone or Naltrexone the right way are "clean and sober". Of course, this also implies they're not trying to increase their dose to get "high" or coupling it with other drugs. To us, it's the same as an individual who is depressed using anti-depressants. They may become "dependent" on them, but they are not an "addict", if that makes sense. There is a huge difference between addiction and dependence. I can post a link to an article about the difference if you'd like.

Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you with. Or please create a new topic and share your whole addiction and recovery story. We'd love to hear it :-).

Peace and Love,

William

Comment

Hi WIlliam. Thanks for your response. I read your article on addiction and dependance. I am actually going to refer it to my own general doctor as even HE believes it's switching from one to another. It's hard to tell people and have them believe what I say when I have lied so long. It damages my credibility. I will post my story which will hopefully help out someone else who is struggling.

Comment

Hello,
                  I have been clean for 11 months now or so I believe.I am a member of N.A. have a sponsor and am a alternate group service representative( GSR) for our home group.I relapsed on narcotic pain meds that were prescribed, a little more then 11 months ago after having back surgery( fusion in 2 places) needless to say I am still in a lot of pain.Any way before I was able to get the surgery I had to come off the suboxone that I have been prescribed ever since I graduated from an IOP program and probably close to 2 1/2 years of men's group therapy, by the same recovery center.I have been on suboxone from day one, I didn't tell my sponsor until I was coming off the suboxone that I was on it. I didn't realize it was an issue. And after my doctor weened me off the narcotics very slowly, I started taking the suboxone again, which maybe I should not have done, but I still had a months supply of before I ever took any opiods or herion I had problems with other drugs and alcohol,now I don't drink, I quit smoking cigarettes in August, so I take only what is prescribed to me antidepressant, bupropion, suboxone,and some cholesterol medications.I am now concerned about telling my sponsor what I have already told him, and I am worried that maybe I'm not considered " clean " to other people in NA if they found out.I guess that is what I am writing this for,I wish there was another group,for people who have stopped herion and other street drugs.I am thinking of quitting NA after reading the NA world report on replacement drug therapy,although it is more about methadone than suboxone.Also I have heard of the other arguments about this is my addiction talking because I don't want to go off the suboxone.I would like any feedback,however I think I know what most NA members will say already,I feel the suboxone is really helping me to stay clean, if I even am clean?I haven't used herion in about 3 years, so that does say something about it..........
                  Thank You for this website and/or outlet, Peace and Love still want to be anonymous😀

Comment

• Joann Miller
                    Joann Miller commented
                    Editing a comment
                    J.P.inLancaster,PA- This is such an important topic these days. I wish that it wasn't but it continues to be. Here is the deal, AA and NA are abstinence-based programs. So that means that they don't consider anyone "clean" if they take anything at all. Oddly enough, or should I say conveniently enough, they are okay with caffeine, and nicotine which is both mind-altering substances...lol So you see, they kinda make the rules up as they go.

Anyway, back to you...

Wow, you haven't used heroin is three years! That is amazing. Did you know that AA and NA aren't for everyone? That is right. They actually only have about an 8 percent success rate. That is awful! Suboxone and Methadone are ranging somewhere in the 60 percent rate if not higher. My favorite is when one of the AA guys say, Hey this is my experience, I used Suboxone for two years AND IT DIDNT WORK FOR ME! Hummm...sure it did, YOU ARE ALIVE!!

I used opiates for over twenty years, almost 15 of them I was on either Methadone or Suboxone. Had I not been on one or the other I absolutely would have found my way to heroin twelve years or so ago. I wouldn't be here if that were the case. Without a doubt, I can tell you that those drugs saved my life.

I was also able to live a productive life, raise my kids and embrace recovery.

Don't worry about what aa and na people would classify you as. All that matters is that you stay alive, are able to live a life that is worth living and you can be proud of. You don't owe anyone any explanations, but yourself and those that love you. I am pretty sure they would rather have you around than the word clean on your tombstone.

Highjinx,

Thanks for your reply and for reading some of our content. Another article you might want to read and share with your doctor is called "Methadone and Suboxone: The Brutal Truth about Medicine Assisted Treatment" which explains how these medications, when used right save lives and do not contribute to the characteristics of addiction, but instead, recovery. Read more about the "Characteristics of Addiction Vs. Recovery". I do hope you also start a new topic to share your story. We will then share it with our entire Facebook community as wlell and I feel confident that it will help someone :-). You will also garner support here as well :-).

Peace and Love

William

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
                  X