25 year methadone pt. tapering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 year methadone pt. tapering

25 years on MMT and starting a tapering schedule. from 130 mgs. on Jan.2016 to 38 mgs today!!! CAN ANYBODY OUT THERE RELATE??? I THINK I NEED TO TALK TO YOU, Thank You

Wip7,

Welcome to our heroin addiction and recovery discussion forum. Thanks for sharing your treatment plan with us. For starters, congratulations on making undergoing MMT (methadone maintenance therapy) for 25 years. How were you on that? Were you clean and sober off any other drugs or were you still using while you were in methadone treatment? Secondly, I think it's great that you are starting to taper. But be very careful. I am very concerned that having been on 130mg of Methadone for 25 years that you are already down to 38 MG since January, 2016. If my numbers are right here, you've been tapering 16 months and have gone down 92 mg. When I first read this, I thought you were only tapering since January of 2017 and was worried that you were tapering WAY TOO FAST. But I'm pleased to see that you are tapering at a much slower rate, which looks closer to 5mg a month? Is that your taper plan?

For starters, how are you feeling at 38mg? In my opinion, if you still feel good, then I see no reason why you can't continue onwards with your taper. Though I would slow it down to tapering 1mg a week and go down 1mg a week until you are down to 0. Don't stop and come off at 5, go all the way down to 1 then 0.

Your initial question was if anyone can relate. I can. I only tapered from 70mg and was on Methadone for only 1.5 years total. But I tapered 1mg a week from 70mg for 70 weeks and experienced no withdrawal symptoms. I've been off Methadone for approximately 2 months now and still feel great.

You can read my whole story by viewing "The Publisher's Story".

I look forward to your response.

Peace and Love,

William
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Thank You William, means a lot! I haven"t talked to anybody besides clinic counselor and anybody knows they could really care less. 38MGS.? well i am glad to say physically, on a scale of ten being worst, about a six and a half. Mentally is quite a different story. instead of a smooth thought process my mind races with every thought so that they overlap one another causing me to forget terribly. i am considering your advice and am contemplating slowing down my schedule, Thank You AGAIN! i am looking forward to your reply, as the simple task of typing is getting difficult mentally wise i need to answer all your questions regardless, it really HELPs, THanks again

Comment

Hello again, my taper plan started @ 7 MGS. per month jan of 2016. two moths after removal of a benign brain tumor. during MMT for twenty five years i used occasionally 2-3 times a year(not consistently) out of boredom. I did not prefer any other substances but Opiates. My taper was fine until 52MGS., so i added an extra 30 days @ 52MGS. Then came 45MGS. and i did the same. I am only 3 days into 38MGS. so I dont know yet how i really feel at this dose, I have found the last seven days of the process is the worst.

Comment

The closer you get to the bottom, the tougher it's going to be, especially especially if you are going down faster. The idea is to start out with a slow taper and then taper down even slower at the end. For instance, if you start out tapering at 7mg a month in the beginning (which is just shy of 2 per week), by the time you get half way down, you should cut it back to 1mg a week or approximately 4 or 5 a month. As for me, 1mg a week from 70mg down to 1 and then 0 worked like a charm. I didn't experience any sickness or withdrawal. The only thing I experienced was some slight restless legs but that's something I used to experience even before I ever started drugs. So I don't believe that was a withdrawal symptom but rather a sign of my body returning to normal.

If you are uncomfortable or in pain at 52mg, hold off on your taper and wait awhile before you go down anymore. Also, instead of dropping so many MG in a month, why not taper on a weekly basis. Don't drop 7mg at once. Drop 1 mg a week. And at 38mg, I would definitely slow your taper down and also do it on a weekly basis so that it doesn't shock your body as much.

Peace and Love,

William
          Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Thank You AGAIN william, your words and advice really mean a lot. At 38MGS. I believe this could be my threshold, and plan on extending this taper. I plan on using your words of wisdom and slow my decreases to a weekly basis. I haven"t done it this way before because my dosage decreases come only once a month per clinic rules. but i know they can accommodate me cause this clinic is a total mess and would avoid anything that could raise suspicions (If You Know What I Mean). I need to also say when things become unbearable i do relapse. i do these things because i am probably dropping too fast, and do just enough to stop the continual dry heaving. I try to avoid using as much as I can like a last resort kinda thing. It doesn"t bother me like it used to bcause i dont go back for the same reasons as before, i feel it is part of the process and just need to adjust my dose accordingly its hard to taper at these places because they have no protocol for people like me. I have come to understand if they can"t make money out of it they wont do anything for anybody. i have tried this twice before(tapering) and could never get lower than 65MGS. @38MGS. I believe is a true miracle especially for me and plan on finishing where i started but succesfullly only with friends like you Thaank You again William, You Are Truly GOD SENT.....

Comment

Hello William, WOW, maybe 38MGS. came too fast, I am going to have to adjust this time, cause i do believe I am going to lose it!! nothing to worry about as I have gone through this before and unfortunately know how to remedy the situation. I, definitely wil be increasing on monday morning. I just wish I had somebody on this end for support. My significant other decided to leave after 30 yrs. and took my children with her. and this happened 3 months out of brain surgery. I wish I knew that was comming cause a month later my father attempted suicide. Through GOD"S GRACE he survived 14 minutes under water without any ill effects. hows that for a miracle!! oops gotta go!

Comment

THEN 6 months out of brain surgery my accountant informed me that i lost my retirement fund of approx. eight hundred thousand dollars that i had managed to accumilate by saving for most of my addicted life!. need I go on? I figured after brain surgery I could resume somewhat of a normal life but GOD always has different plans we coulnt possibly imagine. Seizures came next and really put fly in ointment... CAN U BLIEVE THS?? I SURE WOULDN*T lets see i can think of a few more. All this and every family member i knw (needed) decided to have no contact with me . I realized as soon as i started not bringing in a big paycheck nobody really didnt want anything to do with me. And no friends, my life was completely devoted to family , i managed to play a very responsible "functioning addict". And nobody Knew.

Comment

Now there are a few reasons on why my personal life matters so much, especially how i have made it somewhat public. First, it feels really good to vent, i think i mentioned you are the only one i have talked to since this started and i am sorry to say this is true. secondly i reallly need to find someone who has done the same as i am flying blind and extremely terrified. Its strange nobody has come forward during my search which is going on 6 months it worries me. And third, if our personal lives didn"t matter none of us would be addicts. gotta go!

Comment

Hello William, I should get to the point. for one it feels good to vent. like i said your the only other person i have talked to since i started this insane endeavor. I am having a hard time finding someone who has done what i am attempting to and with success. i have only been searching for about six months but this worries me. second; when i look at getting down to 38MGS has got to be a true miracle. the last time i tried this i got to 65MGS. and didn"t sleep for 6 days at a time-couldnt do it. This time is different got to be a miracle. how is this possible? Can I ask you William how much does faith influence your life

Comment

Sorry for posting these twice -my computer is acting strange

Comment

WiP7,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I think you are doing the right thing by asking questions. I still hold steadfast to my initial advice which is to slow down your taper and go 1mg a week from this point on. If you are feeling any kind of discomfort, I suggest postponing any further tapering until your body adjusts for a couple of weeks.

Just keep in mind that you are at a lower dose now so you will likely feel it if you chop too many milligrams off your dose at once.

You asked me a question about faith - I am a Christian so my faith influences my life a lot. I believe that God gave me the strength to get to where I am and I also believe that God inspired me to create and run this community. What about you?

Best wishes,

William

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
                        X