Need Help - On Methadone - Can’t Stop Using Drugs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help - On Methadone - Can’t Stop Using Drugs

I am on methadone but I can't even get one day without using on top. It's not the amount of methadone as it will hold me but I mentally don't know what to do in order to not use for one day only. Im scared I can't even do that and I don't know why, I just want to sort my life out. It's been so long since I was on this site and I'm ashamed not one thing has changed for me.

Hey Paul,

Welcome back to our forum my friend. You know what they say, every day is a new beginning. I suggest not dwelling on the past and worrying about what happened but instead, use today as a starting point to revitalize your addiction treatment and recovery. If you don’t mind my asking, what are you using on top of methadone? Is it heroin? Or something else? How many milligrams of methadone are you on? I can perhaps give you some tips although albeit, I am not a doctor or a medical professional so what I share with you was strictly my opinion based on my experience and acquire knowledge.

If you want, I’d be happy to speak with you on the phone if you think that would help. I can share with you my experiences with methadone and using and perhaps I can be of some help. At the very least, hopefully I can provide you with some encouragement.

In the meantime, hang in there, and we are happy to be here for you, listen and offer our input without judgment.

Peace and love,

William
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Thanks, I've always felt no judgment from you guys which I appreciate. I'm on 50 Mil of methadone and using heroin and crack on top, about 20 pounds ( £) worth

Comment

Paulie,

I would suggest that 50 mg of methadone may not be enough to prevent some of the cravings for heroin or other opioids. It’s also likely not enough to block the effects of other opioids. That said, methadone won’t do anything to block the effects of or stop cravings for crack or cocaine. However, if you lose some of the cravings for heroin, you may not be as interested in using the other. In my opinion, consider increasing your dosage of methadone and see if that helps with your cravings. However, since crack cocaine doesn’t typically have any immediate dependency or withdrawal, you will eventually have to make a commitment to stop using it. Do you think you can do that? And of course I do ask without any judgment, I only ask because if you’re going to eradicate drugs from your life, part of it has to do with reducing cravings but the other part has to do with commitment which is the most important part. The good news is, the methadone should prevent you from getting sick and experiencing withdrawal symptoms from heroin

Peace and love,

William
        Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Hi Paul!

I think there are a few different factors that may be contributing to your continued using on top of the MMT.
          - As others have said, and where I personally would look first, is your dosage. You said you're on 50, and while it is true that everyone's body is different, this is usually the culprit. MMT should be reducing cravings for opiates DRASTICALLY once you are at a therapeutic/stable does. MMT acts as an opiate blocker above 60mgs once stable, so that's another reason I suspect you may be too low. I am a small female, about 118lbs, and I topped out at 120mgs at my highest. (I'm doing a very slow voluntary taper so I'm at 89 now) But I struggled with finding my stable dose for quite a while. I would suggest speaking with your doctor and doing some research on stable dosing. It's extremely important to successful treatment.

- While the MMT can be a blocker once stable for opioids, it doesn't block cocaine. For some, MMT helps to quell cravings for uppers, but for others...they can actually INCREASE. Especially if you used uppers like coke along with your opiatea before MMT. This is something I experienced myself as well. I dont know what your recovery outside of MMT looks like, but for ME I needed something to accompany MMT. I chose 12 step based programs (specifically CDA and AA) but there are other routes to supplement your recovery. You have to get all that guilt and shame out of you. And I have found the best way to do that is to help another addict. If 12 step recovery isnt for you, that's totally ok! Religion based programs, one on one therapy (like a real therapist, not ur clinic), group therapy, Rational Recovery RR, etc. You just have to find something to help recover your soul.

Most importantly, dont be too hard on yourself

Comment

TNS0728,

Welcome to our Heroin Addiction and recovery discussion forum and thanks for sharing your experience on Methadone with us and offering your input on this topic. I encourage you to start your own topic as well to introduce yourself and share your story with the community. As a former Methadone patient myself I can relate as I know many other will too.

I look forward to your participation.

William

Comment

Paulie,

I'm in the methadone clinic also and from my experience in the beginning it was very rough on me as well. I continued using both opiates and crack, but once I got on a stable dose the Cravings eventually went away. I didn't even realize it at first. Then one day I sat and and thought about it and I said to myself "oh my God I haven't wanted a D, or boy, or even any hard for weeks now"!!! I couldn't believe it I was finally doing good...for once!!! I think you definitely need to speak with your counselor, or your doctor at the clinic and get your dose upped. Once you get on a stable dose I promise you your Cravings will eventually subside, and you probably won't even notice it. Also once you get on a stable dose it will probably be what the doctor calls a "blocking dose". Therefore if you ever do an opiate again you won't even feel it. I know it can be hard sometimes when your trying to get sober, but your doing the right thing by reaching out. Just take it one day at a time and eventually you WILL get where you want to be!!! Seriously though talk with your doctor and get yourself on a stable dose. You won't believe the world of difference it will make...TRUST ME!!! Good luck and God bless

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
              X