Struggling on Methadone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling on Methadone

My concern is this – 10 yrs ago i got on methadone and was at a damn near maxed level the physicians at 2 diff clinical locations never worried about my dosing down or off so i was labled by the clinic a LIFER. I desided i wanted to be free of these liquid chains and dosed myself down 10mg a week till i got to 43mg and had to go to a detox center to get away from this WONDERFUL medical medicine that has been eating away at my bones muscles and body for 10 years.

The time shohld be no more the 1 year and then the patient should get the hell off or JUST GET CLEAN! detrox

In my opinion u have the facts but not the strougles of a person on it for that long and the money i had to pay for it
    Let me just say WAS NOT A FREE HIGH!

Kristiel,

Thank you for sharing your concerns and your experience with methadone on our heroin addiction and recovery support for him thank you for sharing your concerns and your experience with methadone on our heroin addiction and recovery support forum. Basically, everybody’s experience is different. While we certainly do not want to discount yours, there are certainly others who have had positive experiences with methadone. So when you say “ you have the facts but not the struggles of a person on it for that long and the money I had to pay for it“, You are only partly correct. On one hand, you’re right, we have no idea what each individuals experience will be like. However, I personally went through the methadone program and was on it for a year and a half. You said that you wanted to taper down fast so you were going down 10 mg a week. That is way too fast because you are only partly correct. On one hand, you’re right, we have no idea what each individual experience will be like. However, I personally went through the methadone program and was on it for a year and a half. You said that you wanted to taper down fast so you were going down 10 mg a week. That is way too fast unless you don’t mind experiencing all kinds of withdrawal symptoms. But most people get on methadone because they don’t want to deal with the heroin or opiates withdrawal symptoms that come along with opioid addiction. Therefore, the best advice I can give is for people to get on methadone to begin tapering down when they feel comfortable and to do it very slowly. Depending on an individuals does, they could probably go down two or 3 mg a week at first and then switch to 1 mg a week when they get down to a certain level. That certain level will likely depends on a number of factors and depend on the individual. A methadone patient should work with their doctor to decide what is best for them.

Personally, I only went up to 70 mg and I thought that was enough for me. I was only on 70 mg for a few weeks when I decided that I didn’t want to be on methadone for ever and I thought I would start tapering down very slowly. My philosophy was I di personally, I only went up to 70 mg and I thought that was enough for me. I was only on 70 mg for a few weeks when I decided that I didn’t want to be on methadone for ever and I thought I would start tapering down very slowly. My philosophy was “ slow and steady wins the race“ And so I taper down 1 mg a week for 70 weeks which obviously took over a year. However, I still was only on methadone for about a year and a half total which is a lot faster than most people. And I did not experience any withdrawal symptoms either, except for possibly a little bit of restless legs when I got down to about 2 mg. But that didn’t last long and truthfully, I always had a problem with restless legs my whole life so I don’t know if this was my body getting used to it self or minor with so I taper down 1 mg a week for 70 weeks which obviously took over a year. However, I still was only on methadone for about a year and a half total which is a lot faster than most people. And I did not experience any withdrawal symptoms either, except for possibly a little bit of restless legs when I got down to about 2 mg. But that didn’t last long and truthfully, I always had a problem with restless legs my whole life so I don’t know if this was my body getting used to it self or minor withdrawal. Nonetheless, it was very bearable and I certainly felt very good about the program and my decision.

As for the money, it cost me a little less than $500 a month which is a bit pricey, but certainly way less expensive than using drugs. There were times I spent more than $500 a day on heroin. So in my opinion, the price out of my own pocket was well worth it. I had saved a bunch of money because I wasn’t on heroin anymore and I was getting my life back. I no longer chased after a hike and I follow the program the way it was supposed to be followed.

As I said, everybody experiences something different however, I certainly have experience with methadone so I don’t know when you say I don’t have the experience of someone on methadone even though I have the facts. In fact, this is one subject where I happen to have both.

Now I happen to disagree with you… I do not believe somebody on methadone and following the program the way they should Is on your clean or not sober. That said, it is ideal to get off of methadone as quickly as someone can but it’s far better to stay on methadone and then go back to using heroin or other drugs.

Is on clean or not sober. That said, it is ideal to get off of methadone as quickly as someone can but it’s far better to stay on methadone then go back to using heroin or other drugs.

there’s definitely nothing wrong with going to detox and rehab to get off methadone if that’s what you choose, but someone on methadone who is living their life normally without chasing a high is clean and sober just as someone who suffers from depression using Zoloft on a daily basis is clean and sober.

I hope this helps.

William
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
    X