Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Happens if You Can't Afford Methadone Anymore?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happens if You Can't Afford Methadone Anymore?

This is a concern that I have...even the best Methadone clinics require payment for their services. There is nothing wrong with this as money is required to keep any program running. However, what do some of the ethical and best Methadone clinics do if a patient of theirs loses their job (or insurance) and can no longer afford to pay? I will say upfront that anyone who loses their job should begin immediately looking for another and eventually I'm sure the money issue will be resolved. But will clinics work with their patients? What happens when the going gets tough?

​In my opinion, not allowing someone to dose should NOT be an option. People depend on their medication and even though withdrawal from heroin, methadone and other opiates won't kill you, they will likely experience horrible withdrawal and in some cases, may cause someone to make the choice to go back to using heroin, all to avoid withdrawal. Thus, in my opinion, it is horribly irresponsible for Methadone clinics not to continue medicating their patients even if/when money becomes an issue.

I realize this is a complicated issue because anyone could say they don't have the money and Methadone clinics (like any treatment center) needs money to exist and function. However, sometimes shit happens and people literally don't have the money for a short period of time between jobs or until insurance kicks in, etc. So what do the good Methadone clinics do?

I would love to get people's input on this.

Peace and Love,

William

Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

William,
    . The Methadone clinic I was at wouldn't dose you unless you had the $15.00. They used to let people "charge" but then people took advantage of that as they racked up a high bill & left. Then they tried a "MSW" Medication Supervised Withdrawal & you would have to go down 5 mg every day that you didn't have money. They stopped that as well. So now you cannot charge whatsoever. Only if your pregnant. After you have the baby you have so many months to pay your debt & if you don't, they kick you out. I've never been pregnant on any drug but I did have friends that was kicked out of the clinic due to an outstanding debt. Hope this helps!

Comment

I understand that methadone clinics need to get paid in order to run and operate. But, I do think that withholding someone's medication when they rely on it shouldn't be an option. I do think that something needs to be done, I do think that people who enroll in the program need to be responsible for their obligations which includes their financial ones however, sometimes, people do get down on their luck and I believe that clinic should work with these people. It's a catch 22 though I guess. Anytime a clinic becomes lenient, someone takes advantage of it and ruins it for the masses.
      Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Thats exactly right. When you go to intake you do sign a contract with the clinic for the financial obligation. I do agree that if you've been there for more than 6 months & loose a job, waiting for insurance to kick in they should still help you even if they have to cut your dose in half. How can we go about changing this?

Comment

The thought of this is scary. Very true about Suboxone too.

Comment

Originally posted by William - Publisher of this Community View Post
            This is a concern that I have...even the best Methadone clinics require payment for their services. There is nothing wrong with this as money is required to keep any program running. However, what do some of the ethical and best Methadone clinics do if a patient of theirs loses their job (or insurance) and can no longer afford to pay? I will say upfront that anyone who loses their job should begin immediately looking for another and eventually I'm sure the money issue will be resolved. But will clinics work with their patients? What happens when the going gets tough?

​In my opinion, not allowing someone to dose should NOT be an option. People depend on their medication and even though withdrawal from heroin, methadone and other opiates won't kill you, they will likely experience horrible withdrawal and in some cases, may cause someone to make the choice to go back to using heroin, all to avoid withdrawal. Thus, in my opinion, it is horribly irresponsible for Methadone clinics not to continue medicating their patients even if/when money becomes an issue.

I realize this is a complicated issue because anyone could say they don't have the money and Methadone clinics (like any treatment center) needs money to exist and function. However, sometimes shit happens and people literally don't have the money for a short period of time between jobs or until insurance kicks in, etc. So what do the good Methadone clinics do?

I would love to get people's input on this.

Peace and Love,

William

Well your right this happens BUT many states have FREE state insurance and it covers it. What state are you in???? I can give you info on what's available. All I can say is when working its so so so important to plan for possibilities. So even saving small amounts for times like this is so important because I would rather die then withdraw. It's that bad for me yes I'm a big baby. But plan , plan ,plan is all I can say also the first thing you should do is research what your state offers they do have programs that help MA is a state that pays everything and even pays to get you there. If I HAD to i think I would move for this option IF it got that bad. Saving your life is this important. I hope this helps a bit.

Comment

hairless,

Thank you for your response and welcome to our heroin addiction and recovery discussion forum. I live in the state of PA. I have interviewed a few methadone clinics and some seem to work with their patients more than others. Many of the publicly funded methadone clinics have someone that work with the patient and help them signup for the insurance when it expire. If they are not eligible for insurance, many of them do offer a pay out of pocket system and even though they don't offer that to people on the outside, they offer it to their already existing patients just to try to work with them. But if they can't afford it, they typically administer a rapid detox and send them on their way.

Privately funded clinics, at least the one I interviewed tries to work with their patients as well. They provide payment plans, they let them fall behind with promises that they will make up the payments and remain patient for awhile until the patient either a) gets back on their feet and can resume payments or b) continues to fall further and further behind with no sign of even applying for jobs, etc. in which case they also administer a rapid detox and let the patient go.

The methadone clinic I interviewed admits it's a real difficult situation and only typically lets someone go when they have a good sense that the patient is trying to take advantage of their patience and just trying to get dosed for free without showing any evidence of getting back on their feet anytime soon.

While I do feel that there should be more programs for people who genuinely need treatment, part of treatment and recovery is about learning to become independent, work and be responsible and accountable for your actions. Paying for services/treatment is part of being responsible. After all, addicts seem to always find money to pay for their drugs, they can certainly learn to be responsible and pay for treatment. On the flip side, there are just some people with a heavy rain cloud over their heads who desperately need help and would do anything, including work their ass off if they had the opportunity but just can't find anything. Those are the people who I believe should be helped with financial benefit programs.

Peace and Love,

William

Comment

• hairladies3
                hairladies3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow.. PERFECTLY said.. I totally agree. I see big time abuse of the system and it pisses me off to be frank. I work 2 jobs to make ends meet. It's hard but becoming responsible is NUMBER ONE on the list. Love the way you wrote that. You should write a book...lol

hairladies,

It makes me upset and angry too Too many people abuse the system when they could actually afford thing and then there's not enough resources available for those who actually need it.

And thanks for the compliment lol. I've thought about writing a book but I don't have a lot of time. I do write a lot of blogs though. Feel free to our heroin addiction and recovery blog and news site.

Peace and love,

William

Comment

This is such a difficult issue. The clinic I attend (NJ) requires you pay weekly, or bi-weekly if you are at the 13 takehome phase. If you cannot or do not pay, you can not dose that day. If you can't pay the next day, they will let you dose but they decrease it by 5 milligrams everyday until you pay. If it becomes evident that you are not going to pay or if they are kicking you out for other reasons, suh as breaking clinic rules, they put you on fee-tox. They take your dose, divide it by 21 days and decrease it so you are down to zero on day 21.

I understand that people sometimes struggle and have things like job loss happen. If you have been a patient in good standing, abidiny all program and financial requirements, there is a chance they will give you a week or two extension. That is the exception rather than the rule.

There should be some sort of protection in case of financial hardship. There are many patients who are on Medicaid (state insurance for the poor) and it pays all of their clinic fees AND pays for transportation to and from the clinic. It is great that it is covered, but I have to be honest..it creams my corn that I pay for private health insurance (through my husbands employer) and it isn't covered. Even if it was, my clinic does not accept it. It is medicaid or cash. Guess who pays cash?

I understand that they need to be paid for their services and that in this country we pay for healthcare. However, in the case of MMT, I think their needs to be some protections put in place for extreme situations such as sudden or prolonged job loss, death in the family, illness etc. Other than these extreme situations, I feel we shoulld pay for treatment. We could always get money for drugs...we should put that much effort and ingenuity into our recovery!

I hear a lot of complaining about fees in the clinic line. The one I hear the most is "methadone is so cheap! We are getting ripped off!" While it is true that methadone is a very inexpensive medication, fees also have to cover rent, insurance (property and liability, plus malpractice for the clinic doctor and nurses), salaries of counselors, nurses and other staff, lab testing fees and the mundane like electric, water and toilet paper. Not to mention computer equipment, office supplies and the like. The heavy regulations involved in operating a clinic leads to an abundance of paperwork and overtime pay for staff. It is an expensive proposition to run and we get the burden of paying for it.

I actually think even Medicaid patients should have to pay for a portion of their treatment and here is why. I think when you take responsibility for your treatment and have to pay for it, it means a little more to you. Any time you work for something in life, you have a vested interest in making it work and doing your best. I think it is the same with recovery. I know some people are really struggling, but even having to contribute $5.00 can make it seem a little more important and can do a lot with the gratitude factor!
                Last edited by lolleedee; 11-29-2016, 12:12 AM. Reason: lots and lots of typos!!!

Comment

Lolleedee,

​Thank you for sharing some of your thoughts on this very difficult issue. For starters, I can relate to where you're coming from. As someone who has a job and private insurance, I have to pay for my private methadone clinic every week. I pay 120 a week which adds up to $480 a month. That's the cost of a pretty nice car payment, even if you put nothing down - more specifically a $24000 car with a 0 down-payment. Every $5000 is about $100 finances...yes, I'm a math geek, or a car geek or a programming geek - maybe all 3 :-). But that said, it's very frustrating watching people get their methadone for free every day, especially people abusing it and doing benzodiazepines on the side without ever seemingly getting kicked out.

​What you said about how your clinic handles non-payment is wrong in my opinion. Not being able to pay for 1 day should not result in not being able to dose that day. My clinic is MUCH more reasonable with that. Typically we are supposed to pay every Monday but they usually ask "When is the next time you will be making a payment", which is a very nice way to ask considering payment is supposed to be due that day. Now, with only a few exceptions, I paid every Monday. Now that I have 3 take-homes (pretty much the maximum at my clinic unless you've been there for years), I pay on Wednesday, my first day back there. That said, SO many people are behind on payment and my clinic really does a great job working with people to try and help them out. At some point, they do take punitive action but it does take awhile.

​I think my clinic has the right idea, though I think sometimes they may be TOO lenient. Some people clearly take advantage of their generosity so I always make sure I pay on time.

​That said, people who clearly are doing well in the program who fall on difficult times could benefit from what my clinic does. Taking their medication away promptly is almost as bad as putting a bag of heroin in their hands. Most people really dread the possibility of not getting dosed. Most people can make it through a day or two, especially at higher doses. Me, I'm now on 18 mg, so I likely couldn't make it more than 24 hours. But that's true of anyone who is tapering.

Always great to see your feedback and contributions :-).

​Peace and Love,

William

Comment

They are very harsh with payments! Their policies have evolved over time and I think the reason they are so strict is because, unfortunately, people were taking advantage of the lenient payment options that used to exist.
                    I can see it from both sides. I think people should have access to the medicine they need. However, in this country we pay for healthcare, and I believe that MMT falls into "healthcare". That said, I think it should be MANDATORY for private insurance companies to pay for it (I believe Medicaid covers it in every state..not certain though.) If patients don't have private insurance and do not qualify for Medicaid, there should be a program in place to subsidize those patients. In a perfect world we could do away with "cash pay".

The huge problem with MAT, is that it is healthcare that is so far removed from mainstream medicine. That HAS to stop!! I thought with the passing of the Parity act (MHPAEA-Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act) that reimbursements would be better, but it has had minimal impact!

Like I said, I see it from both sides. It is important that people have the medicine they need to recover and money shouldn't be an obstacle to recovery. Unfortunately, that doesn't jive with the U.S. healthcare system as it now exists. I think we have to work on getting better reimbursements, forcing insurance companies to pay for MMT and finding some way to finance those who do not have private insurance or medicaid.

The last thing I would want is for people who are on MMT to have to choose between food and treatment. MMT is about getting your life back..it shouldn't put you in the poor house!
                    Last edited by lolleedee; 12-02-2016, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Clinics shouldn't stop people from getting their methadone. They're dependent on it. They should work with their patient.

Comment

I agree CannibisRules, I understand that treatment, much like everything else in life is "pay to play" but I think its inexcusable for them to cut people off knowing exactly what the consequences could be.
                        I am the Editor and Forum Co-Moderator for Kill The Heroin Epidemic Nationwide and Heroin News.

All opinions are my own and don't necessarily represent that of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide. I am not a medical professional and nothing I say should constitute or replace medical advice provided by a professional.

Comment

Thank Goodness my clinic started me on the government grant that they got.I couldn't afford it after Medicaid expired, so I missed like 9 days, well then the owner told me that he would put me on the grant but they had to dismiss me through the computer so on the 12 day I was labeled as a intake, even though I have been there for almost 2 yrs, and put on the Grant. So now I don't have to pay!!!

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
                          X