Beware unlicensed therapist scams in Florida

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware unlicensed therapist scams in Florida

Does anyone know a reporter in Florida I could talk to about the evidence relating to individuals brazenly practicing without a license?

I got sober over 10 years ago in the UK and I never realized that so many unlicensed therapists and therapist scams would be allowed in the States. Should I include names? Pictures? Screenshots of emails where bogus credentials are listed?

Beware of "Yoga Therapists" and don't give $ or personal information to any "Certified Addiction Professional" that is not being supervised by a legit licensed therapist. ALWAYS LOOK UP A LICENSE BEFORE GETTING TREATMENT IN FLORIDA

​There is this one teacher at my gym who is always trying to sell "yoga therapy" at 100$/hr. This piss artist often refers to herself as an "Addictions Therapist" and "Recovery Guru". Her "credentials" are
    ​1. Certified by the Yoga Alliance - The Yoga Alliance strictly forbids the use of the term "Yoga Therapist" as they do not treat, diagnose or counsel patients

​2. Certified Addiction Professional (CAP) - A silly cert issued by the Florida Certification Board to anyone with a pulse and a wallet. Only last year did this certification require a High School diploma, there is no way to look up if their certification is in good standing, no way to submit complaints anonymously and I don't see anything about their scope of practice in Chapter 490 of the Florida law. On top of that, the name she practices under a different name other than what is listed on the FlCertifcationBoard.org website (No Accountability!)

Nothing issued by the Florida Certification Board is a good substitute for a legitimately licensed, trained and accountable therapist.

​3. 16 years of experience in Mental Health - Her CAP cert only goes back a few years and I sincerely hope she isn't pretending teaching yoga is experience in mental health

I asked two legit LMHC about the legal scope of CAPs and Yoga Therapists.

Of course, Yoga Therapists are not legal and should be reported to the Florida Board of Psychology.

As for CAPs, Fl law does not regulate CAPs and there is no accountability from the FL Cert Board. One LMHC said CAPs are only allowed to write treatment plans and lead group therapy. Another LMHC said CAPs can have private practices if they are only treating addiction.

​Luckily I found a good sponsor in AA and he has steered me clear of these scams. He suspects there is a marketer from a treatment center called Sound Recovery Solutions trolling their meetings. Guess who they have running the place? A BS Certified Addiction Professional!

On LinkedIn and Facebook I find many people referring to themselves as "Yoga Therapist", "Masters Level Therapist", "Mental Health Technician" and "Certified Addiction Professional". Try messaging them yourselves and ask them how much they charge for therapy. It is key to get their real names and steer the conversation towards what they are pretending to treat, counsel or diagnose.

It works, if you work it, but for people without insurance in this loony state, there's very little legit treatment that's worth it

Jenny,

Welcome to our heroin addiction and recovery discussion forum. We aren't "reporters" per say, however, our discussion forum and Facebook community reaches a large quantity of people. I encourage you to share your story here and we'll be happy to broadcast it out to over 142,000 followers with a post reach of between 1.5 to 2 million a month.

Best wishes,

William
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Jenny,

Thanks for updating the topic above.

William
      Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
      X