Suboxone vs. Kratom as a Treatment for Opiate Addiction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suboxone vs. Kratom as a Treatment for Opiate Addiction

So recently I saw an article related to Suboxone and how it compares to Kratom, a natural and unregulated substance that has been said to have similar treatment type benefits as Suboxone.

I imagine it’s difficult to compare the two since most who have been successful with one addiction treatment wouldn’t have had a chance to try the other. Given that the drug relapse rate is high, some may have had a chance to use both. Now, Kratom has been considered highly controversial but it would be most interesting to hear from people who actually used this substance. What are your thoughts of it? Does it work to fight against opiate addiction or do you feel it’s replacing one addiction with another? If you have tried Kratom, why did you use it and if it was for treatment, how much of it did you use and were you successful?

I look forward to everybody’s input on this topic.

Peace and love,

William
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

I have only “used” kratom twice. I was so sick, on a waiting list to get into the suboxone program so basivly I was desperate to feel better. First of all it is a nasty smelling powder so if you have a bad gag reflex you will throw up. After choking it down for 2 days it really didn’t help much my withdrawal symptoms. On day 3 I got into the suboxone program. Saw the doc, passed the drug test blah blah blah. Got my first dose of sub that day. Omg!! The kratom put me into precipitated withdrawal. Never was I so sick in my life. I ended up throwing up so much that I had internal bleeding and was admitted to hospital. The doctors didn’t even know what kratom was. So basically what I’m saying is do NOT mix kratom with suboxone!

Comment

Not dead yet,

Wow, thanks so much for sharing your story and experience with Kratom. It's interesting to me because a lot of people glorify the Kratom plant and substance and tout it as a miracle medication that significantly reduces opioid / heroin withdrawal with virtually no side effects and minimal withdrawal coming off of that. It's allegedly not an opioid but responds similarly as one. Truthfully, I've heard some good and bad stories.

Assuming everyone is being honest, then Kratom is a crap shoot. It might really help someone or it could really cause some damage. In fact, if I remember this accurately, someone has reported permanent intestinal issues that they swear is because of taking the Kratom.

Now some people could be lying about their experience. Those who tout its benefits could be doing so because of a possible financial interest. Those who provide nothing but warnings may have a reverse financial interest where they're afraid Kratom may take money away from their Suboxone, Methadone or even Drug Rehab Center profession.

Kratom does indeed smell and tastes bad from my understanding. I have a friend who takes it on occasion just to help him relax. He's never used opiates before and he says he loves the feeling. But thankfully, he hasn't used it for several months.

Back to what I said about Kratom acting like an opioid....I could definitely see how you might get exceptionally sick using Suboxone if you recently took Kratom. I did something similar before - I took Suboxone only a few hours after my last bad of heroin and I went into precipitated withdrawal also. It was the worst sickness I ever had. It was terrible.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience but I'm glad you shared it with us. I trust those researching Kratom will benefit from reading all experiences, good and bad and that they will use what they read to help them draw a conclusion and make a decision whether or not to use it themselves.

Peace and Love,

William
      Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Hello. My name is Amber and I am very concerned and confused about my husband. He was a drug addict sober in 2006 before I knew him.
        But in 2012 he has surgery on his chest and still takes suboxone as a pain killer for such!
        I’m not sure if that is allowable to cover drugs or a urine test for such. He also started Kratom a month ago and I can’t notice changes other than suboxone withdrawal.
        I am so very clueless about this and need some help please so that I can understand and see if I’m wrong to think he has a drug issue again.
        Thank you so much for your help I hope.

Comment

I have done both suboxone and kratom. With suboxone, I was on it for years on maintenance and felt fog headed, numb, but overall had no cravings. I don't advocate for long term maintenance because like you said your just trading on addiction for another and also your not sober so you’are stuck in some sick limbo of living in a shadow of existence. But also while on suboxone, I wasn't using heroin, thus did not die from overdose or complications. Also while on suboxone maintenance I went to therapy, made amends, went back to school and basically got my life semi-together.

Now I've used kratom twice in life. Both times in a couple month intervals. Both times I took it were when I got off methadone and when I got off suboxone. Getting off either of those is HELL, even with a low taper does. I cannot express this more. So in to first month(s), I supplement with kratom. Kratom is not an opiate but its effects the same receptors (mu and delta). Kratom takes away my withdrawals. No flu like symptoms, mild to no anxiety, helps with depression, etc. I do make sure not to use too long (2 months at most) as it is physically and mentally addictive. So after 2 months I do get mild withdrawals but mild compared to other opiates. Also when you use it in lower doses its like a stimulate opiate feeling and in higher its sedative like. It's a sister of the coffee plant, so that's where the stimulate properties come into play. I enjoy kratom. It's not water soluble so you have to mix it in an oil or make capsules. Kratom has been very helpful with my acute withdrawals and PAWS. I just recently jumped from subs. God help me has it been bad. Wish me luck in my journey. I hope this helps, if you have any questions lmk.

Comment

Smackie,

Welcome to our heroin addiction and recovery discussion forum and thank you for sharing your experience both with Suboxone and crate hi welcome to our heroin addiction and recovery discussion forum and thank you for sharing your experience both with Suboxone and Kratom. I first I do want to make clear that I never said that long-term maintenance is replacing one addiction with another. In fact, I am adamantly against that statement and I have made it very clear in many articles wife. That said, I believe that it’s ideal to use medicine assisted treatment for as short of a time as possible however, I do believe that long-term maintenance is downright necessary for some people or they will likely I first do want to make clear that I never said that long-term maintenance is replacing one addiction with another. In fact, I am adamantly against that statement and I have made it very clear in many articles wife. That said, I believe that it’s ideal to use medicine assisted treatment for as short of a time as possible however, I do believe that long-term maintenance is downright necessary for some people or they will likely go right back to using heroin or other opiates.

I know that getting off maintenance drugs can be very difficult however, I don’t share the same experience as you at least, when it comes to methadone. I think tapering off of Suboxone is harder because it’s more difficult to go down gradually and take the exact same amount each day. Methadone however, I literally gradually tapered down 1 mg per week from 70 mg all the way down to zero. I essentially experienced zero withdrawal symptoms with the exception of possibly experiencing a hint of restless legs. The only reason why I am saying possibly, is because I’ve experienced restless legs my entire life, long before I ever used any drugs. So I don’t know if the restless legs I was experiencing at the end of the taper was due to a small amount of withdrawal or just my body getting used to it self again. Either way, it was very nominal and easy to overcome.

That said, everybody does have a different experience and what’s working for one person doesn’t always work for another.

I’m mostly interested in your experience with Kratom. It sounds like it was very helpful for you in overcoming withdrawal symptoms. Interestingly, I have spoken to many others who feel that it was not nearly as helpful as people say it was. One individual told me that it didn’t help with their symptoms at all while another told me that they think it helped a little but not much. But again, it’s interesting to hear people‘s experiences because if it works for you, it might work for others.

I’m glad you found us and shared your experience. Please feel free to start your own topic to share your full addiction and recovery story or participate on any other topic you find interesting.

I look forward to your involvement.

Best wishes,

Bill

Comment

Edited to delete
              Last edited by Smackie; 08-03-2018, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
              X