Suboxone Taper Discomfort

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suboxone Taper Discomfort

I've been on Suboxone since August 2015, I have finally tapered down from (2) 8mg strips down to a half of one 8mg strip, but every time I try tapering lower it is absolute hell hell hell! I'm in so much pain from trying to go to a lower dosing...any suggestions?

Nikki,

Welcome to our heroin addiction and recovery discussion forum. For starters, I moved your post to a new topic to maximize the number of responses you get. Everybody reacts differently to Suboxone and medicine assisted treatment. With Suboxone, it's a bit difficult to taper down very slowly because you're dealing with a strip that has to be cut "just right". Plus, to be honest, I'm not sure if the medication is evenly distributed within the strip. I'd sure hope so but it's something I've never researched. That said assuming the medication is evenly distributed throughout the strip, my only suggestion would be to taper more slowly You said you tapered from 2 8mg strips to 1/2 of one. Did you do that all at once or did you go through phases? If you did it all at once, I'd go from 2 8mg strips to 1 and 3/4 strips for a couple weeks, let your body adjust and then taper down to 1 and 1/2 etc. But I would wait a couple weeks in between each drop as the body needs time to adjust its homeostatic balance and go through allostasis (the process of adjusting one's natural homeostatic balance). Tapering too quickly will send the body into shock and thus, withdrawal is the result.

Think of it like steps. If you walk down a flight of steps, there's minimal to no impact on the body. If you skip a step, you're still ok but it's a little more strenuous. But if you try to skip 5 or 6 steps or jump down half a flight of steps at once, you could cause damage to your body. Jump down from one top floor to the bottom floor and you may break a leg. Similarly, your body needs to taper Suboxone like going down steps. Taper just a little bit at a time, wait for your body to adjust and then go down another step. Does that make sense?

I hope this helps.

Peace and Love,

William
    Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

Find a Prescreened Addiction Treatment Center & Drug Rehab Facility

Visit our Heroin Addiction & Recovery Blog for daily articles.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

Hi Nikki
      You might want to look up withdrawal ease I have read alot about it and got it for my son unfortunately he isn't ready to be serious about getting clean yet BUT on the website there is a whole article about tapering down on suboxons using the withdrawal ease they also have another product to help with PAWS ..

Comment

https://withdrawal-ease.com/how-to-d...oxone-at-home/

Comment

Amarie,

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I've heard of Withdrawal Ease however, I never knew how effective it was or is It would be interesting to hear from some people that actually used it an whether or not it really helped alleviate or at least minimize some if not all of their Suboxone and/or heroin withdrawal symptoms.

Another produce that could help alleviate Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome is LiQcovery. To learn more about this, you can visit "LiQcovery: The Potential of Alleviating Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS)". I also want to add that I take this product daily and the AM formula helps give me additional energy by day and the PM formula helps me sleep at night. That said, I'm not experiencing PAWS so I can't provide a personal review on that part of it. But scientifically, it makes sense when you learn about each ingredient in the blend.

Peace and Love,

William
          Publisher of Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide™, Heroin News and the National Alliance of Addiction Treatment Centers.

I do my best to educate myself regarding addiction and recovery related issue, treatment options, etc. however, I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and any advice you take from me is at your own risk and discretion

Comment

While on the topic of tapering down off suboxone, I was interested in this method to get myself clean, but I wanted to get off of them as quickly as possible. What I mean by that is, I really don't want to do them for a year or even longer. I want to do it in the shortest possible amount of time. I've never, ever used them before, so I'm not really sure about anything when it comes to using this method. I've also been extremely cautious about making the final decision to utilize this method because the thought of getting off of one substsnce, just to jump to another that I'll be dependant on makes me feel extremely uneasy and nervous. Im just scared of getting physically addicted and trapped all over again. Any suggestions? I just so so desperately want to detox, and get through that rough physical withdrawl.

Comment

Tirelessly Trapped,

​Many people who use medicine assisted treatment, Methadone and Suboxone are on them for awhile. However, MAT can be used short-term to help someone detox. Your best bet may be going to a detox center, which typically includes a 7 day medical detox. You will likely experience withdrawal, but the effects will be minimal compared to going completely cold turkey.

​By the way, what you are calling "physically addicted" is called dependence. And yes, using Suboxone too long will cause a dependence to it which is why a slow taper is typically required for those who use it as a long term maintenance drug.

Peace and Love,

William

​P.S. I did reply more fully to your other topic as well.

Comment

Just started taking suboxone June 15 also interested to know what it will be like getting off of it when time comes i am guessing very small steps at a time let me know how it goes would very much like to know

Comment

• time to confess
                  time to confess commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Time to confess is a song title by a band I like and is open to interpretation as all are thanks for response and reason I wonder is my understanding is its very difficult to gage dosage by cutting/splitting pills or films and like others dont want to be stuck with one addiction in place of another therapist recommended a support site and this one seemed to be more open minded than others I found thank u to anyone with any feed back and good luck to all regardless of route they choose to free themselves of this miserable.drug

Time to confess,

Welcome to our heroin addiction and recovery discussion forum. Interesting alias, it makes me wonder what you're confessing? :-)

That said, I personally haven't been on Suboxone however, it's my understanding that if you taper down slow enough that you can come off of it with minimal discomfort and withdrawal symptoms. I personally was on Methadone and tapered down 1mg a week and it worked like a charm for me. However, many others have had a difficult time tapering off and feel "stuck". That's why a lot of times Methadone has been referred to as "liquid handcuffs". As for Suboxone, I hope another member will share their experience about coming off of Suboxone. Personally, I'd love to hear some experiences from people who came off Suboxone who didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms. I think it's harder tapering down because you either have to cut a pill or a film instead of measuring liquid like with Methadone.

Peace and Love,

William

Comment

Time to confess,

It does seem that a lot of drug addiction support discussion forums are not very open minded about medicine assisted treatment, at least many of the members and even some of the owners and moderators aren't. To me, it's a valuable tool that can be used in conjunction with counseling and other support-based groups like Alcoholics Anonymous, narcotics Anonymous, etc. Of course, it has to be used correctly and not with other drugs or trying to convince the doctor to increase your dose such as in the case of some methadone patients.

Many MAT patients stay on Suboxone or methadone for the rest of their lives which again, isn't necessarily horrible, but ideally I think people should be on either one fr as short as a period of time as possible.

Peace and love,

William,

Comment

Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide

We are a community of recovering heroin addicts providing support and recommending the best treatments and clinics to people interested in conquering their addiction.

Conquering Heroin Addiction

"Behind every addiction there is a family that is suffering. Remembering those who have lost their battle with addiction and those who are still suffering."

Newsletter

©2016 Modern Image, LLC

Working...
                  X